MIL-OSI USA: CONGRESSMAN JOE MORELLE ANNOUNCES FEDERAL FUNDING FOR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT TO REDUCE CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

2
Recommended Sponsor Painted-Moon.com - Buy Original Artwork Directly from the Artist

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Joe Morelle (NY-25)

Gates Fire District awarded $50,000 to support efforts to reduce carbon monoxide poisoning, which affects over 100,000 Americans annually

(Washington, D.C.)—Today, Congressman Joe Morelle announced $50,000 in federal funding from the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to support Gates Fire District’s efforts to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the ‘invisible killer’ because it is so difficult to detect, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of innocent Americans each year,” said Congressman Joe Morelle. “This federal funding will allow the Gates Fire District to equip more homes, senior living facilities, and community spaces with life-saving carbon monoxide alarms to help keep people safe from this deadly hazard. I’m grateful to Gates Fire District Chief Tim Goole for his dedication to the safety of our families and I look forward to continuing our work together.”

Timothy Goole, Fire Chief of Gates Fire District, said: “Early detection and early notification to Fire Departments is a key contributor to a positive outcome during emergency situations. Our Community Risk Reduction (CRR) program installs hundreds of smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors annually to assist our community with early detection. This grant funding from Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) will help us expand this program and reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide related injuries/illnesses in our community.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning and over 100,000 visit the emergency room for carbon monoxide poison treatment.

CPSC’s grant program was enacted through the Nicholas and Zachary Burt Memorial Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2022, which is named for two boys who lost their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. It is designed to provide state, local, and tribal governments with grants to purchase and install carbon monoxide alarms in residential homes and facilities that serve children or the elderly and to develop training and public education programs with the goal of preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Visit CPSC’s Carbon Monoxide Information Center to learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to protect yourself and your loved ones.

###

MIL OSI USA News