Source: US State of Georgia
ATLANTA (Nov. 21, 2023) — Sen. Emanuel Jones (D-Decatur), is proud to announce a groundbreaking partnership between the YMCA of Metro Atlanta, the State of Georgia and the Department of Family and Child Services (DFACS). The partnership is aimed at mitigating learning loss and bolstering youth achievement among low-income Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) families in South DeKalb during out-of-school time.
Sen. Jones expressed his commitment to this initiative, stating, “This investment underscores our unwavering commitment to youth of South DeKalb. By providing these programs, we aim to address learning loss, prioritize social-emotional development and create pathways for both academic success and personal growth.”
The YMCA of Metro Atlanta praised the efforts of Sen. Jones, expressing, “Thanks to the leadership of Sen. Emanuel Jones, the YMCA of Metro Atlanta is excited to partner with the State of Georgia and DFCS. Through our efforts, we will address learning loss and support youth achievement by serving youth from low-income BIPOC families residing in South DeKalb during out-of-school time.
With an investment spearheaded by Sen. Emanuel Jones; the South DeKalb YMCA relaunched the Y Explore Afterschool Program and Club on Oct. 30, 2023. In addition, the South DeKalb YMCA will be providing additional out of school programs: Summer Adventures in Learning (SAIL) and holiday camps.
The Y Explore Afterschool program focused on serving middle school youth and entered a partnership with Anchor Charter School, just miles away from the South DeKalb YMCA. The YMCA programs will not be limited to Anchor’s families and will continue to extend offerings to the surrounding community. The offered day camp will provide summer enrichment programming to K-10th grade, with opportunities for teen employment.
The Y Explore Afterschool and SAIL (summer day camp) programs will:
• Provide learning loss support while prioritizing social-emotional development and well-being through after-school enrichment;
• Provide academic specialists including counselors to execute high-quality youth achievement programming;
• Provide cutting-edge STEAM programming;
• Provide in-house field trips and specialty programs through partnerships with several community youth serving organizations – PALS, STEAM Truck, Zoo Atlanta, and more;
• Advance school-aged children who are at risk of falling behind academically through participation in the Summer Adventures in Learning (SAIL) program by sparking a passion for learning through interactive, hands- on academic activities; and
• Provide a safe and engaging environment for youth through summer and holiday day camp by providing opportunities to explore the outdoors, make lasting friendships, build self-esteem, and develop interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
We appreciate Sen. Jones’ leadership in helping the YMCA of Metro Atlanta to address systemic inequities falling along racial and socioeconomic lines through extended learning experiences that will improve academic achievement and develop a generation of change-makers.”
Sen. Emanuel Jones represents the 10th Senate District, which includes portions of DeKalb and Henry County. He may be reached at 404.656.0502 or by email at email@example.com.