MIL-OSI China: Rayo Vallecano 1-0 Barcelona-Depay misses penalty


Source: China State Council Information Office

Radamel Falcao’s goal on the half-hour gave recently promoted Rayo Vallecano a 1-0 win at home to FC Barcelona, who saw Memphis Depay’s 70th minute penalty saved by Rayo keeper Stole Dimitrievski.
The defeat on Wednesday night came on the back of Barca’s defeat to Real Madrid last weekend. Barca have not won in their last five away games – their worst run in over 20 years.
Koeman made changes to the side with Sergi Roberto and Nico Gonzalez coming in, and Sergio Aguero making his first start since joining the club.
Barca had won their last 13 games against Rayo and started confidently with Depay firing just wide, before Falcao found space ahead of Eric Garcia and drew a good save from Marc-Andre Ter Stegen.
Sergino Dest fired into the side netting for Barca before Rayo took the lead. Sergio Busquets was caught napping on the ball by the aggressive Oscar Trejo, and the Rayo midfielder slid the ball through for Falcao to hold off Gerard Pique, before cutting inside and curling the ball inside the far post.
It was nearly 2-0 five minutes later when Isi Palazon latched onto a sloppy clearance from Ter Stegen. The Rayo winger drifted past Garcia, but fired over the bar when he should have done better at the edge of the area.
Barca upped the tempo at the start of the second half, with Gonzalez wasting a decent chance five minutes after the break, as he controlled a long pass only to drag his shot wide of the post.
Dimitrievski then did well to deny Aguero after the striker had been well teed up by Gonzalez, and the Macedonian keeper was confirmed as the hero of the night with 20 minutes left to play.
Memphis was caught on the heel in the Rayo area and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The Dutch striker had scored his first two penalties for Barca, but Dimitrievski guessed correctly and made a good save. He then followed the save by bravely claim the loose ball, which earned him a boot in the head that needed two separate periods of treatment – the second of which came after he had saved an Aguero header following a corner.
After the stoppages there were eight minutes of injury-time and Luuk de Jong had half a chance when Dimitrievski raced out of his area for a long ball, but the tall striker lobbed the ball onto the roof of the Rayo net.

MIL OSI China News