Source: US House of Representatives Republicans
The following text contains opinion that is not, or not necessarily, that of MIL-OSI –
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas reportedly asked DHS officials whether the department was prepared for 350,000 to 400,000 illegal border apprehensions in October if a court order that lifts Title 42 takes effect at the end of the week.
The United States has NEVER recorded that number of illegal border apprehensions in a single month, and it would nearly double the 21-year record reached in July.
Title 42 was implemented by the Trump administration to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 in March 2020. But, the Biden Administration is actively working to stop using Title 42 to expel migrant families at the southern border who are attempting to enter from countries with a high COVID-19 infection rate.
Fortunately, Republican Representatives Chip Roy and Yvette Herrell are leading a discharge petition for H.R. 471, allowing for Title 42 to continue to be enforced at our southern border.
This reporting also comes at a time when DHS is already under fire for not testing illegals entering the country for COVID-19. Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks has proposed legislation known as the REACT Act, which would require a negative COVID test before any illegal immigrant is released from custody.
Unfortunately, just yesterday, House Democrats again blocked consideration of this legislation.
BIDEN’S BORDER CRISIS BY THE NUMBERS:
- There were 208,887 border apprehensions in August – a 317% INCREASE from last year.
- August was the second straight month with over 200,000 apprehensions.
- Over 1,200,000 illegal immigrants have been apprehended at the border since February 1, 2021.
- In August, Joe Biden released 43,941 illegal immigrants into the U.S.
- In President Trump’s last full month in office, only 17 illegal immigrants were released into the U.S.
- Fentanyl seizures in 2021 have nearly doubled 2020 numbers, according to records quietly released by Customs and Border Protection.
It’s simple: The Biden administration has worked to open the southern border, not secure it. Our communities are less safe because they stopped building the wall, brought back Catch and Release, and got rid of the Remain in Mexico policy.