Source: Auckland Council
We are working with local communities to protect and restore nature in Tamaki Makaurau. Pest Free Auckland focuses on the suppression of pest animals, pest plants (environmental weeds), pathogens, and marine pests, to help nature thrive. And planting natives, which helps improve existing habitats and establish new ones.
The Pest-free Auckland initiative seeks to:
- inspire and motivate Aucklanders to play their part in controlling pests and planting natives.
- enable Local Boards, schools, mana whenua, community groups, local businesses, and the private sector to be involved
- support community pest animal and plant control and planting activity, alongside council activities
- help connect similar initiatives within neighbourhoods
- improve the connection of ecosystems enabling the return and reintroduction of native species
- tell stories showcasing community action and celebrate success.
Auckland Council’s Pest Free programme is our contribution towards the national vision of Predator Free 2050 to eradicate possums, stoats, and rats from the entire country.
Pest Free Auckland is partly funded by the Natural Environment Targeted Rate, introduced in July 2018. It is also guided by the council’s Regional Pest Management Plan.
For more information, contact email@example.com
Save Our Backyard Birdsong
Find ways to save your backyard birdsong.
LINK to Our Auckland Save our Backyard Birdsong landing page.
Join a community conservation group
Find volunteering opportunities in your neighbourhood, on OurAuckland.
LINK to community group tile.
Or volunteer in local or regional parks, see Volunteer in our parks.
Pest Free News
Subscribe to our regular e-newsletter and keep up to date with Pest Free Auckland activities.
Follow our Auckland Biodiversity Facebook page for updates and stories.
Find a conservation event or opportunity.