Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

Source: Hong Kong Information Services

(To watch the full press briefing with sign language interpretation, click here.)

The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) today said it is investigating 61 additional COVID-19 cases, of which 60 are locally transmitted.

Among the local cases, 19 have an unknown source of infection.

The CHP’s Communicable Disease Branch Head Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan said at a press briefing this afternoon that one of the cases involves a Vietnamese detainee at Ma Tau Kok Detention Centre whose first COVID-19 test result upon admission to the detention centre was negative.

The detainee underwent a second round of testing on December 26 and the result was positive.

Dr Chuang said the relevant department will check whether there is any link between this case and the one reported earlier at Castle Peak Bay Immigration Centre, adding that the CHP will follow up.

“I understand that at both Castle Peak Bay Immigration Centre as well as Ma Tau Kok Detention Centre, they conduct COVID-19 testing for all newly admitted detainees. So I do not suspect that there is an outbreak.

“But of course, at Ma Tau Kok Detention Centre, that was the second round of testing. They are doing another round of testing to find out if there is any silent transmission.”

Other new cases involve six related to the United Christian Hospital cluster and one to the Tseung Kwan O – Lam Tin Tunnel construction site.

Meanwhile, one more preliminary positive case was detected at Wing Shui House of Lek Yuen Estate in Sha Tin where a total of four units have been affected so far. Three of them are on the same floor while the other one is located on an upper floor.

The Government will issue a compulsory testing notice for Wing Shui House if the preliminary positive case is confirmed positive, Dr Chuang added.

For information and health advice on COVID-19, visit the Government’s dedicated webpage.

MIL OSI Asia Pacific News