MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
The choice of the main curator of the museum – the most interesting items from the collection.
Moscow museums are temporarily closed to visitors, but you can also get acquainted with the treasures stored in them and the stories associated with them online. Curators are the best guides in museum collections. We are going on a virtual tour of the Zelenograd Museum together with its chief curator Tatiana Silyanova.
A joint article by mos.ru and the Mosgortur agency.
A special place in the museum’s collection is occupied by an enamel coronation mug of the 19th century with the image of a two-headed eagle. Such circles were part of the infamous royal gifts prepared in honor of the coronation of Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna. Four thousand souvenir bags, which were handed out on May 18, 1896 during the festivities on Khodynskoye field, became the main reason for the mass gathering of people.
Together with the mug, a Vyazma gingerbread, sausage, sausage and a bag with nuts and sweets were wrapped in a bright shawl that replaced the gift wrapping. In the midst of the tragic events that unfolded on Khodynka, there was a writer and journalist Vladimir Gilyarovsky, who in his memoirs the main reason for the excitement and death crush calls these “pretty enamel, white with gold and a coat of arms, multi-colored mugs”.
The inhabitants of Zelenograd donated this exhibit to the museum in 1982.
Piano Diederichs Frères
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Russian singer and dramatic tenor Dmitry Tarkhov played the piano of the “Brothers R. and A. Diederichs” company. It belonged to a friend of the singer named Shevaldin. When visiting him, Tarkhov often sat down at the instrument.
He was fond of singing since childhood – in parallel with his studies at the law faculty of Moscow University, the young man studied at the conservatory in the class of the opera singer Varvara Zarudnaya. In the 1920s, Dmitry Fedorovich worked in Moscow theaters, and from the mid-1930s he sang on the All-Union Radio. Tarkhov wrote poetry, translated opera librettos into Russian and taught at the Gnesins’ Music and Pedagogical Institute.
The musical instrument is interesting for its origin. Diederichs Frères (“The Diederichs Brothers”) was the first piano company opened in the Russian Empire in 1810. The workshop, which gradually grew into a factory, was founded by the merchant Fyodor (Friedrich) Diederichs. His sons Andrey and Robert followed in their father’s footsteps, and later the company changed its name to Brothers R. and A. Diederichs. The enterprise ceased to exist in 1918, having produced about 18 thousand grand pianos and pianos in 108 years of operation.
German ceremonial saber
A significant part of the museum’s collection consists of items related to the Great Patriotic War. An interesting exhibit is a German ceremonial saber with a narrow curved blade and an ornament on the hilt in the form of a lion’s head with ruby eyes. The saber was removed from the echelon, which was carrying equipment for the parade of the Wehrmacht troops on Red Square.
The weapon was donated to the museum by Vladimir Grigorievsky – a veteran of the Great Patriotic War who fought in the Western, North Caucasian, Bryansk, 1st Ukrainian, Transbaikal fronts. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the Order of the Patriotic War II degree and other government awards.
Brochure “To the battle for the Motherland”
The collection of songs of the Great Patriotic War “To the Battle for the Motherland”, published in 1942, is a small book with songs by Soviet composers to be performed with piano or button accordion. The collection contains 15 works, six of them are songs to words by Vasily Lebedev-Kumach, including the famous “On the enemy! For the Motherland, forward! ” to the music of Isaac Dunaevsky.
A harsh time
Came for the homeland.
Get up, get up
For heroism and combat labor.
Keep the ranks stricter
All the people are behind us.
There will be an enemy forever
At the enemy! For the Motherland, forward!
The music to these poems by Lebedev-Kumach was written by many Soviet composers (Vano Muradeli, Semyon Chernetsky), but the song became famous precisely thanks to Dunaevsky’s version, which sounded in 1941 in the film “Combat Collection No. 2”.
Stagecoach ticket 1831
Among the exhibits of the Museum of Zelenograd there are also travel tickets, for example, a stagecoach ticket from St. Petersburg to Moscow dated April 21, 1831. In the 1830s, railway communication between cities did not yet exist and it was possible to quickly get from one capital to another only by stagecoach. A large public carriage drawn by four horses carried not only passengers but also mail. Inside, the stagecoach was divided by a partition, some of the passengers were sitting in the direction of travel, some were opposite. From St. Petersburg, the carriages departed at exactly 10 am and reached Moscow in a few days. On the way, they stopped only for a change of horses and “one hour for lunch and dinner and half an hour for breakfast.”
For the trip, it was necessary to purchase a ticket, which indicated the date of departure and the seat in the carriage. The day before departure, each passenger had to bring a passport and a permit from the police to free exit to the stagecoach office. When the carriage arrived at the destination, the passports were returned to the clients in exchange for travel tickets. The cost of the trip varied from 120 to 60 rubles, depending on the time of year and the place in the stagecoach. The trip inside cost 120 rubles, and the seats on the seats located above the trestles cost half the price – 60 rubles in summer and 75 rubles in winter.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.