MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Press Service of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage
The building is located at the address: Bolshoy Rogozhsky lane, house 17. From 1903 to the end of the 1960s, it housed medical facilities. Now it is occupied by the Museum of Culinary Arts.
One of the original buildings of the capital was recognized as an identified cultural heritage site and taken under state protection. The new status was received by the Rogozhskaya ambulance station, or the City Hospital for incoming patients named after L.N. Sumbula, located at the address: Bolshoi Rogozhsky lane, 17.
This is a two-story building, built in 1903 by order of the Moscow City Council. The architect Nikolai Blagoveshchensky (1867–1926) chose an atypical style for a public building – neo-Russian. As a result, the red brick house with whimsical white décor has become the hallmark of Bolshoy Rogozhsky Lane.
“Neo-Russian style is a popular trend in architecture of the late 19th – early 20th centuries. Many remarkable monuments of this style have survived in Moscow, among which there are public, recognizable city buildings, such as the GUM building, the Historical and Polytechnic museums. Typical for him is the combination of Byzantine architecture and Old Russian architecture. The Rogozhskaya dispensary has become an excellent example of an urban public building, which embodies the main features of the neo-Russian style, “said the head of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage
As the head of the department noted, the status of the identified cultural heritage object will provide protection against demolition and any change in the appearance of the building during restoration or repair. All works for owners and tenants now need to be coordinated with the city.
The brick building is T-shaped. It is painted in contrasting colors – red and white. All decor is made of shaped or shaped bricks.
The main facade is decorated with three projections (projections). On the central one is the entrance to the building. Two small arches with weights can be seen right above the entrance. They are framed by an archivolt, or door frame, decorated with scalloped projections.
In addition, in the decoration of the main facade, one can see keeled (with a pointed top) and lancet (consisting of two semicircular arches) window frames, columns, kokoshniks and curbs (bricks laid at an angle to the wall). All these details are characteristic of neo-Russian architecture.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Rogozhsky ambulance station, or the City Hospital named after L.N. Sumbula, served only incoming patients. There was a day hospital and an operating room. Both children and adults could become patients. Eye, skin and ENT diseases were treated in the outpatient clinic. From there it was possible to call a doctor at home.
It is noteworthy that two names were assigned to the hospital. One in honor of the area where the institution is located. And the second, more official, in honor of the famous capital philanthropist and public figure of the beginning of the last century Leonid Sumbul.
Until the end of the 1960s, the building housed medical organizations. Then it was declared emergency and was temporarily not used.
In 1975, at the request of the Main Department of Public Catering of the Moscow City Executive Committee, the building with a land plot was transferred to Mosrestorantrest. On the first floor, a “Cookery” store was opened, and on the second – the Public Catering Museum. The leading chefs of the capital’s public catering, heads of the best restaurants in Soviet Moscow took an active part in the creation of the exposition. Among them were the head chef of the Moscow hotel restaurant Georgy Yermilin, who invented the Soviet version of the Olivier salad in 1939, and the head chef of the Leningradskaya hotel restaurant Viktor Zaitsev. In addition, Vasily Sidorov, the author of the book “On tasty and healthy food”, which has become legendary in the USSR, also contributed.
The museum was closed in the 1990s. In 2006, it reopened, but under a different name – the Museum of Culinary Arts.
Work on the preservation and restoration of architectural monuments in the capital is ongoing. The list of cultural heritage sites is regularly updated. In the last seven years alone, about 923 monuments have received protection status. Of these, more than 440 are identified cultural heritage sites, and about 480 are cultural heritage sites of federal and regional significance.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.