Source: Government of Prince Edward Island
Health PEI is reminding Islanders that masks are required for entry to any of its buildings under the new Chief Public Health Office regulations.
Mask wearing is very important in health care settings, where a COVID-19 outbreak would affect vulnerable patients or staff who provide vital health care services.
“The majority of Islanders who receive care or are visiting a loved one are respectful of the guidelines and have happily complied to help keep each other and staff safe,” said Marion Dowling, Health System COVID-19 Joint Response Team Co-Lead and Health PEI Chief Nursing Officer. “By reinforcing mandatory masks, Health PEI is doing everything possible to ensure the safety of Islanders including our health care workers so we can continue to maintain our ability to provide high-quality health services.”
Visitors and partners in care who refuse to wear a mask without a stated medical reason (which includes mental health reasons such anxiety) will not be permitted to enter health care facilities. Patients who are not admitted to a bed or room also need to wear a mask during their visit for appointments or procedures.
The Chief Public Health Office continues to work closely with the federal government, provincial and territorial counterparts, government departments and Health PEI to monitor the pandemic situation and prepare for all COVID-19 related impacts to the province, including health, social and economic. The public health risk of COVID-19 is continually reassessed and Islanders will be updated as new information becomes available.
Everyone is encouraged to follow routine prevention measures:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue
- Stay home if you are not feeling well
- Limit touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Keep your circle of contacts small
- Wear a mask in closed, indoor public spaces
- Maintain a distance of two meters from others as much as possible
- Don’t share items like drinking glasses and water bottles
- Frequently clean surfaces like taps, doorknobs and countertops