Source: Government of Prince Edward Island
Prince Edward Island’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Heather Morrison, has confirmed two new positive cases of COVID-19 in the province.
The individuals are both men – one is in his 20s, the other is in his 50s – who recently travelled outside of the Atlantic Bubble. Both men are self-isolating at home with very mild symptoms. Contact tracing is now underway.
On November 1, one of the individuals travelled from Montreal to Charlottetown on Air Canada flight AC8356. The Chief Public Health Office has been in communication with the airline and, out of an abundance of caution, all passengers who travelled on this flight should monitor for symptoms. If any passengers develop symptoms of COVID-19 they should visit a Drop-in Testing Clinic to be tested.
At this point, there is no evidence of community spread of COVID-19 in Prince Edward Island and the risk of transmission in the province remains low. Prince Edward Island has had a total of 66 positive cases of COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic. All cases to date have been travel-related.
The Chief Public Health Office continues to work closely with the federal government, provincial and territorial counterparts, government departments and Health PEI to monitor the pandemic situation and prepare for all COVID-19 related impacts to the province, including health, social and economic. The public health risk of COVID-19 is continually reassessed and Islanders will be updated as new information becomes available.
Everyone is encouraged to follow routine prevention measures:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue
- Stay home if you are not feeling well
- Limit touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Keep your circle of contacts small
- Wear a mask in closed, indoor public spaces
- Maintain a distance of two meters from others as much as possible
- Don’t share items like drinking glasses and water bottles
- Frequently clean surfaces like taps, doorknobs and countertops
Health and Wellness