MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
View of the building of the Central Exhibition Hall (the former Manege building). Photo by V. Sobolev. June 1, 1957. Main Archive of Moscow
Until 1957, at various times, the building housed barracks and a garage for government cars.
In the Glavarchiv of Moscow documents containing information about the return of the status of the exhibition space to the capital’s Manege, as well as photographs of the late 1950s are kept.
Since the second half of the 19th century, the Moscow Manege has hosted marching training of troops, as well as exhibitions and other public events. During Soviet times, the building housed barracks and a garage for government cars.
On November 6, 1957, in accordance with the decision of the Executive Committee of the Moscow City Council, Manezh was returned to the status of an exhibition space. The building opened the Central Exhibition Hall of the Department of Culture of the Executive Committee of the Moscow Council. At the same time, the institution’s operating rules, ticket prices and guiding excursions were approved.
The Manezh’s tasks included organizing and exhibiting exhibitions of Soviet and foreign fine arts, other exhibitions, as well as popularizing them by conducting lecture and excursion work with visitors. Also, the space of the Central Exhibition Hall was used for meetings, rallies, lectures, concerts and other public events.
The price of tickets for schoolchildren and students of all educational institutions was 50 kopecks. A ticket for adults with an individual visit cost two rubles, as part of an excursion group – one ruble. For military personnel, admission to the exhibitions was free.
Excursions for schoolchildren, students of secondary educational institutions and military personnel cost 20 rubles, for ordinary visitors – 30 rubles, for teachers, commanders of the Soviet army and navy due to the special preparation of excursions – 40 rubles.
On November 5, 1957, the first large-scale exhibition dedicated to the 40th anniversary of the October Revolution was opened in the Moscow Manege. The artist, academician of the USSR Academy of Arts Pavel Sokolov-Skalya then said: “Today, in the newly equipped beautiful Manege building, a wonderful creation of the architect Osip Bove, an exhibition is opening on an unprecedented scale and skill level of artists … The exposition includes more than one and a half thousand works of painting, sculpture, monumental and decorative arts ”. He also noted that the demonstration of works of art from all the republics of the Soviet Union had reached such fullness for the first time.
In total, more than two thousand exhibitors took part in the exhibition, including Alexander Deineka, Pavel Korin, Arkady Plastov, Georgy Vereisky, Alexey Gritsai, Konstantin Yuon and many others. According to Vechernyaya Moskvy, over 120 thousand people visited the exhibition in just three weeks. It closed on March 16, 1958.
Subsequently, similar events were held regularly in the Moscow Manege. You can see photographs of one of the art exhibitions of that time in the Main Archive of the capital. The last such exhibition was held in 1987 and was dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the October Revolution.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.