Post sponsored by

Source: United Kingdom London Metropolitan Police

A man has pleaded guilty to a firearms offence after specialist officers recovered a sawn-off shotgun and ammunition from a vehicle he was travelling in.

Tyler Tanner, 23 (22.06.97), of Henderson Drive, Dartford, Kent, pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm at Woolwich Crown Court on Friday, 23 October.

He will be sentenced at the same court on Monday, 14 December.

The court heard that on Wednesday, 17 June, Tanner and a 27-year-old man were travelling in a white transit van. They drove to a cul-de-sac in Longfield, Kent and parked. A few minutes later, Tanner returned to the vehicle carrying an orange plastic carrier bag and got back into the front passenger seat.

Specialist officers, with the assistance of armed officers, followed the van as part of an intelligence-led investigation and stopped the vehicle nearby in Meopham, Kent.

During a search of the van, officers found an orange carrier bag in the front passenger foot well. Inside the bag was a firearm with two barrels. Also inside the bag was a further black plastic bag, which had about 40 shotgun cartridges inside.

The firearm was made safe and was sent off for testing, which confirmed it was a sawn-off shotgun.

Tanner and the 27-year-old driver were arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm.

They were taken to a south London police station and Tanner was subsequently charged later that day.

Detective Inspector Stephen Masterson, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said:

“This investigation led to a dangerous weapon being taken off the streets. Each shotgun cartridge seized had the terrifying potential to seriously injure or kill.

“Tackling violence remains the Met’s top priority. Taking firearms off the streets, stopping the supply and transporting of guns and identifying criminals who have access to dangerous weapons forms a key part of that commitment.

“However, we cannot tackle this issue alone and we rely on the support of the local community. I’d urge anyone who may have information about violent crime to contact the police or the independent charity Crimestoppers if you’d prefer to remain anonymous.”

+ The 27-year-old man was released and no further action was taken against him.

MIL Security OSI