Post sponsored by

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Kevin McCarthy (CA-23)

As a former small businessowner, I understand how complicated and confusing the process of starting a business, acquiring capital, and then growing a business can be. That is why I wanted to ensure that small business owners, and aspiring small business owners, may access information regarding the resources that are available to them on this page. Below are federal and local agencies and organizations that provide small business owners and entrepreneurs with counseling and other services.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA): 

“Created in 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) continues to help small business owners and entrepreneurs pursue the American dream. The SBA is the only cabinet-level federal agency fully dedicated to small business and provides counseling, capital, and contracting expertise as the nation’s only go-to resource and voice for small businesses.”

Find out what SBA Certifications Your Small Business is Eligible for:

  • This is a great resource where a business can answer just a few questions and find out if they’re eligible for 8a, HUBZone, and Woman Owned/Economically Disadvantaged Woman Owned Small Business certifications. Businesses may also apply for 8a and Woman Owned/Economically Disadvantaged Woman Owned certifications via this page.


  • Businesses can search their address to see if they’re located in a HUBZone, and find out more about this program including how to apply.

SBA Surety Bonds:

  • Businesses can find out more about the SBA Surety bonding program, including lists of participating bonding agencies.

Find an SBA Resource Partner for free counseling, consulting, and mentoring:

  • Businesses can use this link to connect with the Women’s Business Center, Small Business Development Center, or SCORE.

Contact the Fresno SBA District Office: The Fresno SBA District office serves 15 counties in the San Joaquin Valley and Central Coast including the 23rd Congressional District. To reach the SBA, businesses can email or call (559) 487-5791.

CSUB Small Business Development Center (SBDC):

“The CSU Bakersfield Small Business Development Center (SBDC) promotes the development, growth and success of small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs throughout Kern, Inyo and Mono Counties. Whether you want to launch, grow, transition or innovate your business, we can provide expert consulting, training, market research, access to capital and other tools at low to no cost assistance.”

Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA):

“The U.S. Department of Commerce, Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) is the only federal agency solely dedicated to the growth and global competitiveness of minority business enterprises.”

  • Contacts for California Based MBDA Centers:
  • Contact for the MBDA Federal Procurement Center:
  • MBDA Programs Directory (network of Business Centers, Specialty Centers, AIANNH Projects, Etc.):
  • To sign up the MBDA newsletter, check out and to learn about virtual events and workshops, visit 

General Services Administration (GSA):

GSA offers several resources and access to unique contracting opportunities to small businesses.

Mission Community Services Corporation-Kern Women’s Business Center:

“Mission Community Service Corporation hosts the Women’s Business Center in Kern County. Helping women, low-income, minority, and non-profit businesses gain the knowledge they need to start and run successful businesses. Offering business start up classes, monthly workshops, and free business consulting.”