Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
* The Giro d’Italia’s 19th stage from Morbegno to Asti has been shortened due to bad weather in the northern part of Italy, Italian broadcaster Rai reported on Friday. Rai said that riders would start the stage amid rain and cold weather before getting on their team buses to travel south for around 100-110km. They will then complete the final 150km of the stage as scheduled on their bikes.
* Barcelona may be able to welcome some fans back for their Champions League tie against Juventus at the Camp Nou in December, the Catalan regional government said. The region’s General Director for Sport, Gerard Figueras, said preliminary discussions had taken place between authorities and Barca about the return of fans amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
* Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane confirmed that capain Sergio Ramos is set to return from injury when they take on rivals Barcelona in El Clasico in La Liga on Saturday.
* Valtteri Bottas set the pace for Mercedes in the first Portuguese Grand Prix practice in 24 years on Friday (Oct 23), with six-time Formula One world champion team-mate Lewis Hamilton second fastest.
* Brazil called up striker Gabriel Jesus and goalkeeper Alisson on Friday (Oct 23) for two World Cup qualifying matches in November even though both players are recovering from injuries. The five-time World Cup champions are scheduled to face Venezuela in Sao Paulo on Nov. 13 and Uruguay in Montevideo four days later.
* Tiger Woods’ bid for a record-setting 83rd PGA Tour victory will have to wait despite a solid round on Friday, after he finished 12 strokes off the lead and tied for 66th at the halfway point of the Zozo Championship.
* Top-seeded Alexander Zverev outlasted eighth-seeded Adrian Mannarino of France 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-4 on Friday to reach the semifinals of the bett1HULKS Championship at Cologne, Germany. Zverev recorded 16 aces while winning in his native country. He next will face Italy’s Jannik Sinner, who defeated Frenchman Gilles Simon 6-3, 0-6, 6-4.