MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Experts will restore the facades of the 18th century church. The premises will be restored to their historical appearance, the communications of the historical building will be completely renovated.
A comprehensive restoration of the facades of the Church of the Deposition of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the former village of Leonovo (Dokukin Street, 15, Building 1) has begun. The building was built in the XVIII century, in 1859 it was restored and acquired its present appearance. The church is unique in that it was built of brick and stone during the period of the complete ban on stone construction in Moscow.
The building has the status of a cultural heritage site of federal significance and is under state protection. All restoration work is carried out under control Moscow City Heritage.
“The church in Leonov is a unique structure for Moscow in the first quarter of the 18th century. At that time, all the stone went to the construction of the first buildings in St. Petersburg, and in the capital Peter the Great banned any stone construction. The owner of the Leonovo estate, Prince Vasily Khovansky, had to receive special permission to build it. The complex of the temple was restored in the middle of the 19th century, then local repairs were carried out already in the 20th century. Now specialists are working on facades. We expect that the first stage of work will be completed by the end of 2020 “, – said the head
Department of cultural heritage of the city of Moscow Alexey Emelyanov.
The Moscow baroque church was built in 1722 of stone and brick and plastered. Its architecture is based on the traditional form of composition for Russian temple architecture called “octagon on a quadruple”. The upper tier is octahedral and lies on the lower, wider square tier. The facades are decorated with corner pilasters and profiled cornices with the so-called croutons (decorative decoration in the form of a row of downwardly directed teeth) on the quadrangle. During the restoration of 1859, the facades of the church were supplemented with decorative molded platbands with “ears” (a figured extension in the upper part of the windows), as well as external wall paintings.
The bell tower of the church is made in the style of early classicism. Its facades are decorated with corner pilasters and cornices, the belfry is crowned with a small octahedral tent with dormer windows and a gilded cross on an apple under the cross.
The architectural monument is in an unsatisfactory condition. According to the results of a preliminary examination of the church and the bell tower, vertical cracks in the thickness of the walls, niches punched in the walls, punches and holes were found. Fungus and mold have appeared in the masonry of the walls, a layer of plaster is peeling off on the facades, fragments of molded platbands on the windows are lost, the foundations of the church and the bell tower are deformed.
Now experts are clearing the facades and basement of the church, after which the main work will begin. The building will be put in order not only outside, but also inside. In particular, the floor in the left aisle, the inner walls of the temple, window and door frames, entrance lobbies and canopies will be restored, the integrity of all decorative elements, including corner pilasters and molded platbands, will be restored. In addition, the beams on which the bells are attached will be replaced in the belfry, and the roof will be insulated in the church, the engineering systems will be updated, waterproofing will be laid so that the structures no longer suffer from moisture.
History of the church in the former Leonov
There is a legend that a stone church in the Leonovo estate on the banks of the Yauza was erected on the vow of Prince Khovansky, who escaped the death penalty. According to her, the owner of the estate, Prince Vasily Khovansky, was sentenced by Peter I to death “for revelry and impudent blasphemy,” but at the last moment the sentence was changed to corporal punishment.
In 1800, the church and the bell tower were closed by order of the new owner of the estate, the famous philanthropist and naturalist scientist Pavel Demidov. It is believed that he suffered from a nervous breakdown and could not stand any noise, including bell ringing. The church quickly fell into disrepair, utensils and the iconostasis were distributed to other churches. During the Patriotic War of 1812, the French established a stable in it.
The resumption of services in the church is associated with the name of Leonov’s new owner – manufacturer Evgraf Molchanov. In 1859, he restored and opened a church for the “spiritual needs of the workers” of the Rostokin cotton-printing manufactory.
After 1917 the church was not closed. During the Great Patriotic War, the parish made donations to the fund of the Red Army.
In the post-war years, work was carried out on the improvement of the territory and on partial renovations in the church, electricity and water heating were carried out, and outbuildings were repaired.
Now the temple is functioning, there is a Sunday school and a library.
The preservation and restoration of architectural monuments in Moscow is the most important area of work of the Department of Cultural Heritage. Since 2011, about 1,500 cultural heritage sites have been restored in the city, of which 203 – in 2019. Recently, restoration work in Lopatina’s house was completed. This is a 19th century mansion with “fabulous” facades in the neo-Russian style, located on Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street. Since 1963, it houses residence of the Brazilian ambassador… Even earlier work on restoration of the historical appearance assembly hall were completed in the Moscow classical gymnasium. At the beginning of autumn, after restoration, it was opened Northern river station with an adjoining park.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.