Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
A statement released by the three countries’ football associations said they had already expressed their intention to bid to world football’s governing body FIFA and that they would put together a formal agreement by the end of the year.
* Ireland will be able to resume their Six Nations campaign in Dublin against Italy on Saturday after the Irish government exempted elite sport when it moved the country to the highest level of COVID-19 restrictions for six weeks on Monday.
* Genoa held on for a 0-0 draw away to Verona in Serie A on Monday despite having their squad decimated following a COVID-19 outbreak at the club.
* A Raul Jimenez shot that took a heavy deflection off the head of Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips gave Wolverhampton Wanderers a hard-fought 1-0 away win in the Premier League on Monday (Oct 19).
* Promoted West Bromwich Albion and Burnley fought out a 0-0 draw in the Premier League on Monday (Oct 19) after both sides missed chances to register a first win of the season in a pulsating clash.
* The Premier League said on Monday (Oct 19) that eight people had returned positive results in its latest round of COVID-19 tests conducted on players and staff last week. The league said the individuals who had tested positive for the novel coronavirus would now self-isolate for 10 days.
* Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa is being treated for a thigh injury sustained against Centa Vigo at the weekend, the club confirmed on Monday, potentially ruling out the striker for Wednesday’s Champions League tie against Bayern Munich.
* Jumbo-Visma, one of the leading men’s outfits, is starting a women’s team for the 2021 season with Dutch great Marianne Vos in the squad, they said in a statement. The creation of the team is a welcome boost for women’s cycling, which has been badly hit by the COVID-19 crisis.
* American Frances Tiafoe advanced to the second round of the European Open in Antwerp, Belgium, dismissing sixth seed Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in straight sets. Tiafoe won 6-3, 7-6 (6) to wrap up the match in one hour and 21 minutes.
* Dustin Johnson, the top ranked player in the world, withdrew from this week’s ZoZo Championship, the second consecutive tournament he has missed after testing positive for COVID-19. The tournament, which made its debut in Japan last year, was moved to the Los Angeles-area for 2020 at Sherwood Country Club as a concession to the COVID-19 pandemic. Tiger Woods is the defending champion.
* Andy Murray has suffered another injury setback and has pulled out of this week’s ATP Tour event in Germany due to a lingering pelvic problem, the former world number one said, raising doubts over his participation for the remainder of the year.