MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
The hospitable house of Count Sheremetev. Author P. Pavlov. 1880s. Main Archive of Moscow
Staff surgeon of the institute Sergei Yudin was the first in the world to use fibrinolytic blood transfusion to a patient dying of bleeding.
The Main Archive of Moscow stores documents related to the history of the N.V. Sklifosovsky, whose main mission is to save lives.
The institute is located in the building of a former hospice, which was laid by Count Nikolai Sheremetev on June 28, 1792, on that day he turned 41 years old. In 1803, after the death of his wife Praskovya Kovaleva-Zhemchugova, Sheremetev made changes to the initial project, deciding to dedicate the building to the memory of his wife. The hospice, which had been called the Sheremetev Hospital since the 1850s, consisted of an almshouse for 100 elderly and disabled people and a free hospital for 50 people. From 1860 to 1909, one million 858 thousand people received medical care in the department for incoming patients.
On July 18, 1919, an ambulance station was housed in a former hospice, and on October 15 of the same year, the Central Emergency Hospital was formed there. In 1923, on the basis of a medical institution, the Institute of Emergency Aid was organized, which was named after the outstanding surgeon and scientist N.V. Sklifosovsky. The city ambulance station became its department, it was on the basis of the institute that the standards of first aid were introduced.
Two centuries and ten more years: the first building of Sklif celebrates its anniversary
From the first years of the institute’s work, talented doctors have worked here, including Grigory Gershtein, Vasily Krasintsev, Pyotr Solovov and many others. One of the significant stages in the life of the institution is associated with the name of the surgeon Sergei Yudin. He was the first in the world to use the transfusion of fibrinolytic blood (which has lost the ability to clot) to a patient dying from bleeding. Research in this area, which took place at the institute, saved many Soviet soldiers during the Great Patriotic War. Also Sergey Yudin became one of the founders of modern anesthesiology.
During the war, the institute was not only engaged in the treatment of wounded Red Army soldiers, but also hosted the civilian population. Its head, Colonel of the Medical Service, Sergei Yudin, often went to the front and operated on in the field. The outdoor orthopedic table he designed was used in many hospitals. For his work on military field surgery, the doctor in 1942 was awarded the Stalin Prize.
Sergei Yudin worked at the Ambulance Institute until his death in 1954. Several years later, the management of the institution asked to install a memorial plaque on the building of the medical institution in his memory.
Now the N.V. Sklifosovsky Research Institute for Emergency Medicine is the largest multidisciplinary scientific and practical center for emergency medical care in Russia.
From the hospice of Count Sheremetev to the flagship of emergency aid in Russia: 95 years of Sklif
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.