MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Archaeologists have found dozens of historical items.
Parts of the uniform and ammunition of the cavalrymen were found by archaeologists during the restoration of the historical barracks and the arena in Khamovniki. The buildings are located at: Komsomolsky prospect, 17a. This is an object of cultural heritage of federal significance “The complex of the Khamovniki barracks of the early 19th century – the arena of the 19th century.” Restoration work has been carried out here since 2019, the historical appearance is returned not only to the facades, but to the interior decoration. In parallel, archaeological observations are underway.
Experts attribute the discovered artifacts to the century before last and last. These are dozens of items, including stripes and buttons from uniforms, lead bullets, parts of horse harness: snaffle rings, bridle headbands, stirrup buckles, horseshoes. According to them, one can imagine how soldiers and officers were serving, horse riding and shooting.
“The Khamovniki barracks appeared at the beginning of the 19th century on the site of the former linen manufactory of Tames, founded under Peter the Great. For example, the famous Chef’s House as part of a complex of buildings is nothing more than the house of the director of the manufactory. The finds made on the territory of the barracks arena illustrate the period of time when the arena was used for its intended purpose, ”said the head
Department of cultural heritage of the city of Moscow Alexey Emelyanov…
Now the finds are being studied, described and restored. In the future, they will replenish the collections of the capital’s museums.
The manege building was built in 1876 and was part of the historical complex of the Khamovnichesky barracks, erected in 1807-1809, although it was located on the opposite side of the Khamovnichesky parade ground. In the 20s of the last century, the building housed the Higher Riding School, the arena became the center for training cavalry commanders for military parades. The main facade of the complex acquired a more solemn architectural and decorative image in the style of late classicism, and classic plaster decor appeared. A Tuscan colonnade and a balcony for a military band were erected in the central part.
In the 1950s – 1970s, the arena was repeatedly supplemented with new extensions. In addition, the building has become a complex of gyms. In 1963, it was again rescheduled and re-equipped to accommodate the CSKA shooting range. Thanks to the restoration, the volumetric-spatial structure of the complex, formed by the first half of the 20th century, will be preserved, including elements that appeared in the first half of the 19th century.
Archaeologists periodically find items that keep the memory of the life of Moscow and the townspeople. Specialists study their condition and determine their value, after which they decide how to preserve them. Often the transfer of artifacts to museums is preceded by a long period of restoration.
In early September was completed restoration of items of the 16th – 19th centuries – ceramic kitchen and tableware, fragments of which were found during excavations on the territory of the former Kadashevskaya Sloboda. In the process of painstaking work, out of 20 thousand fragments, 20 items were collected. Among them are white clay pots, watering bowls and a black-glazed jug.
In addition to the utensils, during excavations in the center of Moscow, many copper crosses and arrowheads were also found earlier. The finds were dated to the XIV-XVI centuries. Artifacts restored and prepared for transfer to the capital’s museums. In total, over 200 unique finds have been put in order during these restoration works.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.