Source: Hong Kong Information Services
(To watch the full press briefing with sign language interpretation, click here.)
The Centre for Health Protection today said it is investigating eight additional COVID-19 cases, including three workers of The Royal Garden hotel.
Among the new cases, seven are locally transmitted and one is imported. One of the local cases’ source of infection remains unknown.
The centre’s Communicable Disease Branch Head Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan said at a press briefing this afternoon that three more workers of the hotel tested positive for COVID-19 after a worker got infected from the disease a few days ago.
“They are all male staff, they share the staff canteen as well as the restroom, changing room at the B3 level. So we regard that there is an outbreak affecting the male staff who had used the changing room on B3 floor.
“Around 300 male staff working in The Royal Garden hotel who had used the changing room are considered as close contacts and we are arranging for them to be sent to the quarantine centre.”
Dr Chuang added the centre advised the hotel to close and carry out a thorough disinfection and that it will also arrange another round of virus testing.
“We have arranged testing of the residents of the hotel as well as all the staff. So far, all of them have tested negative except these four patients. So we will arrange another round of testing for them.”
The local case with an unknown source of infection involves a 25-year-old man who developed sore throat on October 7, while the imported case involves a 63-year-old female who came to Hong Kong from India.
For information and health advice on COVID-19, visit the Government’s dedicated webpage.