Post sponsored by

Source: United Kingdom Thames Valley Police

A man who was convicted of murdering Jefferey Wiafe in Milton Keynes on New Years’ Eve 2019 has today been sentenced to life imprisonment at a hearing at Luton Crown Court.

Tyriq Alowooja, aged 21, of Vellan Avenue, Fishermead, Milton Keynes, was found guilty by unanimous jury verdict of murder on Friday 7 August following a trial lasting 20 days.

Following a legal ruling at the end of the prosecution’s case, the trial judge directed the jury to find Brooke Turrell, aged 20, of Stratford Road, Milton Keynes, not guilty of murder.

In addition, Turrell was found not guilty by unanimous jury verdict of assisting an offender.

The incident which led to Mr Wiafe’s death occurred at just after 3.30pm on New Year’s Eve 2019, when officers were called to Carradine Crescent, Oxley Park, Milton Keynes following reports that Mr Wiafe, who was 22-years-old, had suffered stab wounds in an attack.

Tragically, Mr Wiafe, died at Milton Keynes University Hospital, despite the best efforts of medical professionals to save his life.

Alowooja and Turrell were both arrested on 7 January.

Alowooja was charged with one count of murder on 10 January and Turrell was charged on the same date.

Four other people who had previously been arrested in connection with the incident were subsequently released without charge.

Alowooja and Turrell had both pleaded not guilty to the offences, although had previously pleaded guilty to one count of being concerned in the supply of class A drugs.

Alowooja was given a life sentence and told he would serve a minimum of 20 years, less 269 days already spent on remand, for murdering Mr Wiafe. He was also sentenced to three and a half years’ imprisonment for being concerned in the supply of class A drugs. The sentences will run concurrently.

Turrell was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, for being concerned in the supply of class A drugs.

She was also ordered to carry out 200 hours’ of unpaid work and carry out 20 days’ rehabilitation.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Andy Shearwood of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit, said: “This was a complex investigation involving a significant number of officers from our Major Crime Unit as well as local Milton Keynes police officers.

“Now that this case has reached a conclusion, I hope that the family of Mr Wiafe can take at least some solace from the fact that his killer has been brought to justice and will be out of our community for many, many years to come.

“This was a horrific incident, which once again brought into stark view the true costs of drugs possession and supply.

“It must be said, Mr Wiafe, the victim in this case, was involved in the supply of drugs in Milton Keynes, but the attack which led to his death was savage and he did not deserve to die in such a violent manner.

“As a force, we remain absolutely committed to stamping out the supply of drugs and violent crime in our communities, and we will continue to work with our partner agencies to eliminate this scourge on our society.

“Mr Wiafe had a loving family who cared for him deeply, and they have had to endure many months of anguish while our investigation into his murder was conducted.

“They have shown utmost dignity and patience throughout our investigation, and had to listen to the evidence in court, which would have been harrowing for any family to hear.

“I would like to once again offer my sincerest condolences to Mr Wiafe’s family on behalf of Thames Valley Police.

“Violence of this kind is completely unacceptable in our communities, and I would like to re-assure the people of Milton Keynes and the wider Thames Valley that we will always look to bring violent offenders such as Alowooja to justice.

“Alowooja will now spend many years in prison for this dreadful crime and we have removed this dangerous offender from our community.

“He will have to reflect on the results of his violent actions, and I hope that will serve as at least some comfort to Mr Wiafe’s family and friends that we have brought his murderer to justice.

“Although found not guilty of being involved in Mr Wiafe’s murder, Turrell had pleaded guilty to being concerned in the supply of drugs.

“I hope that she considers her actions and has learned lessons about being involved in such illicit activities which can have devastating impacts on all involved.”


Note to editors: Article amended relating to comment on the sentence of Brooke Turrell.

Tyriq Alowooja, jailed for life with a minimum term of 20 years

MIL Security OSI