Source: New Zealand Transport Agency
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites will be in place along State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected as a result of these works and may be significant at times. Where possible, the most disruptive work will be done at night to reduce the impact on motorists, while other work will require traffic management during the day.
Waka Kotahi reminds motorists to plan for delays, allow extra time for their journeys and take extra care when travelling through work sites to ensure the safety of themselves, other road users and road workers.
It is expected that school holiday-related traffic will impact on travel times during this week.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – motorists are advised to expect major changes to the Tarawera Road roundabout from Friday 9 October as work to upgrade the intersection begins. A new temporary layout will be installed overnight on Thursday 8 October which will be in place until January 2021.
The new layout will be larger than the original roundabout but will maintain the same lane formation people are used to. A 30km/h temporary speed limit will be in place at all times. This work is expected to cause significant delays at times as people adjust to the new layout.
Contractors will be upgrading services and the road surface at the intersection, in preparation for its final formation as a signalised intersection in May 2021.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street – traffic on SH30 may experience delays as work takes place at the intersection of Te Ngae Road and Sala Street.
Contractors will be continuing work on the new city-bound slip lane on Sala Street. At all times northbound traffic on Sala Street will be down to one lane at the Sala Street/Te Ngae Road intersection.
Westbound traffic on Te Ngae Road may be down to one lane outside peak hours. Delays may be experienced during these periods.
- State Highway 30, multiple areas – traffic on SH30 may experience minor delays due to resurfacing works.
Resurfacing is planned for service trench areas in both directions between Puarenga Bridge and Tarawera Road.
Work will take place between 7:30am and 5pm on Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 October. At times traffic will be down to one lane during this period, where the lanes are too narrow to allow two lanes of traffic past the site. All other areas will have two lane available to traffic.
- State Highway 30, Repco – a shoulder closure remains in place on SH30 outside Repco at all times while service installation and retaining wall works are completed.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – a shoulder and footpath closure remain in place on SH30 outside Neil Hunt Park between 7.30am and 5pm while retaining wall works are completed.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills – Iles – a lane diversion and footpath closure will be in place on SH30 between Allen Mills Road and Iles Road at all times while service-related work is completed.
A temporary speed limit of 30km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site – excluding the shoulder closures outside Repco and Neil Hunt Park. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites, though we recommend using the footpath on the northern side of Te Ngae Road, as sections of the footpath on the southern side have been removed outside Neil Hunt Park and the Redwoods Park. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with: