Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
* Arsenal squeezed past Liverpool 5-4 on penalties to advance to the League Cup quarter-finals on Thursday after a goalless 90 minutes.
* Impressive performances from Lionel Messi and Ansu Fati helped Barcelona overcome an early red card to defender Clement Lenglet and win 3-0 at Celta Vigo on Thursday (Oct 1) to make it two wins out of two in the new La Liga season.
* Seven-times European champions AC Milan scored a penalty at the end of extra-time before winning a 24-penalty shootout against Portugal’s Rio Ave on Thursday to squeeze into the Europa League group stage. Milan were trailing 2-1 until Rio Ave defender Toni Borekovic handled in the area and Hakan Calhanoglu made it 2-2 from the spot with the last kick of the match.
* Top seed Novak Djokovic barely broke sweat in reaching the French Open third round with a 6-1 6-2 6-2 thrashing of outclassed Lithuanian Ricardas Berankis on Thursday (Oct 1).
* Former champion Jelena Ostapenko ousted second seed Karolina Pliskova from the French Open with a 6-4, 6-2 win in the second round of the French Open on Thursday (Oct 1) after an error-ridden performance from the Czech player.
* Alianza Lima set an unwanted record in South America’s Copa Libertadores when they drew 2-2 at home to Estudiantes de Merida and extended their winless run in the competition to 22 matches – the longest in its 60-year history.
* AC Milan have signed 20-year-old Norwegian striker Jens Petter Hauge from Bodo/Glimt, the Serie A club said on Thursday (Oct 1). Hauge has played for Norway at youth level, although he has yet to make his senior debut, and scored 35 goals in 118 games for Bodo/Glimt, the Norwegian club where he was developed.
* Olympique Lyonnais have signed Brazilian midfielder Lucas Paqueta from AC Milan on a five-year deal for a fee of EUR20 million (US$23.49 million), the Ligue 1 club said.
* Barcelona says it has signed American right back Sergino Dest to a five-year contract on Thursday (Oct 1). Barcelona paid Ajax 21 million euros (US$24.7 million) plus an additional 5 million euros in add-ons to acquire the speedy defender who passed his medical after arriving in Spain on Wednesday.
* Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira will join Serie A club Lazio on a season-long loan, the Premier League club said on Thursday.
* Paul Pogba returns to the France squad for the first time since June last year after being included on Thursday (Oct 1) by coach Didier Deschamps for the upcoming friendly against Ukraine and UEFA Nations League double-header against Portugal and Croatia.
* Italy’s top flight soccer league has postponed a Genoa match against Torino scheduled on Saturday after the Genoa team confirmed positive coranvirus cases, a Serie A official said on Thursday. Earlier this week Genoa said 14 players and staff had tested positive for COVID-19.
* Spectators are to be allowed at European club and national team competition matches, at up to 30 per cent of stadium capacity, where local authorities allow, UEFA said on Thursday (Oct 1).