Source: US Government research organizations
The International System of Units (SI), commonly known as the metric system, is easy to use and learn when taught using metric tools. The ability to interpret measurement scales, magnitude, and approximate a quantity are essential Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) competencies.
This 1.5 hour session will explore NIST Metric Program education publications and other resources that can be downloaded and freely reproduced by teachers, parents, and students. These resources are helpful to students as they become familiar with metric units, develop measurement quantity reference points, and learn more about SI basics.
An invited guest speaker from the U.S. Metric Association will describe online education resources, including student and non-student scholarship awards, national Science Fair awards, and the Certified Metrication Specialist Program.
At the end of this session, using your notes, you will be able to:
- LIST five best practices for teaching the International System of Units (SI), commonly known as the metric system.
- DESCRIBE how you will use at least one SI education publication or resource to educate students in a traditional classroom, distance learning environment, or community outreach event.
- REQUEST a free NIST Metric Teacher Kit.
- PREPARE to celebrate national Metric Week (the 10th month of the year and the week containing the 10th day).
Materials & Supplies:
Successful completion includes participation in all activities and discussions. Session participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance (does not include participant name or CEUs) delivered by email after the session. Attendance is recorded in the unofficial transcript, available in the OWM Contacts System.
This session is ideal for K-12 educators and Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STEAM) professionals and other outreach ambassadors who have responsibilities for instructing middle school students on measurement techniques and STEAM careers. Parents and academic coaches who assist with student homework completion and science fair participation may also attend.
The Office of Weights and Measures (OWM) online webinar training fees have been waived and are currently available free of charge. In person Seminar fees have not changed. OWM encourages our community to participate in this professional development opportunity to build and extend their technical skills. For more information on OWM training fees, please click here.
Phone: (301) 975-3690
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge browser, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome
- For HTML Client – Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above), and Edge (v42.0 & above)
- Mac OS
- Mac OS X 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14
- Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome
- For HTML Client – Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Apple Safari (v12.0 & above), and Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above)
- Ubuntu 16.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- No application support is available for Linux. Users on Linux can attend meetings in a browser.
Google Chrome, Adobe Flash Player 23.0
- The Adobe Connect app for iOS and Android requires Adobe Connect Server version 8.2 or later
- Some features may not be enabled in all Adobe Connect meetings if one is using an Adobe Connect Server older than version 9.4.2 (required for Custom pods)
- Google Android 4.4 or later
- Apple iOS: iOS 8.1.2 or later
3. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 13 or higher installed on your computer. Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Flash Player.
4. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
* Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.