Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Government of the Republic of France statements from French to English –

Source: Republic of France in French The French Republic has issued the following statement:

Credits: © Patrick J. – Fotolia.com

Confusion of an edible species with a poisonous species, consumption of edible mushrooms in poor condition, poorly cooked or poorly preserved, purchase “on the fly” … Whether you are a connoisseur or practice picking occasionally, it is is an activity which can involve very serious risks for health and one deplores each year a thousand poisonings. Servic-Public.fr reminds you of good practices for safe consumption.

The consequences of poisoning on health can be severe and lead to hospitalization: severe digestive disorders, kidney complications, liver damage that may require a transplant. Some can lead to death.

These poisonings occur mainly in October, when the meteorological conditions combining precipitation, humidity and freshness favor the growth of mushrooms and their picking.

To limit these risks, the National Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety (ANSES) invites you to follow certain recommendations.

Before picking

Provide a wicker basket, a crate or a cardboard box to place your mushrooms. Never use plastic bags, they speed up rotting. Your container must be large enough to separate the different species and thus avoid mixing pieces of poisonous mushrooms with edible mushrooms;
Choose a gathering place far from polluted sites (roadsides, industrial areas, landfills, pastures, etc.), because fungi absorb the pollutants to which they are exposed;
Find out about the structures that can help identify a pickup in case of doubt: certain pharmacists or mycology associations (study of fungi) in your area.

During picking

Only collect mushrooms that you know perfectly well: some poisonous, highly toxic mushrooms are very similar to edible species;
Be careful: poisonous mushrooms can grow where you picked edible mushrooms another year;
Pick only specimens in good condition and remove all of the fungus (stem and cap) to allow identification;
Avoid picking up young specimens that have not finished forming, which promotes confusion, and old specimens that may be damaged or colonized by worms or insects.

After picking

Wash your hands thoroughly;
Take a photo of your harvest before cooking: it will be useful in the event of poisoning to decide on the appropriate treatment;
If there is the slightest doubt about the condition or identification of one of the mushrooms harvested, do not consume the harvest before it has been checked by a pharmacist or a mycology association;
Store the mushrooms, avoiding any contact with other foods in the refrigerator (max 4 ° C) and consume them within 2 days after picking;
Never consume raw mushrooms and cook each species separately and sufficiently: 20 to 30 minutes in a pan or 15 minutes in boiling water with release of the cooking water. This destroys parasites and bacteria, and makes certain species edible (shiitake, morels, certain boletus);
Consume mushrooms in reasonable quantities, 150 to 200 grams per adult per week;
Never offer picked mushrooms to young children and avoid doing so to seniors (high risk of dehydration and death in case of poisoning) and pregnant women (certain bacteria or parasites such as toxoplasmosis, at risk for the fetus, are present in the soil and could infect them);
Do not consume mushrooms marketed by non-professionals (“on the sly”).

What to do in case of symptoms?

In the event of the appearance of symptoms following the consumption of mushrooms: abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, tremors, dizziness, vision problems in particular, you must immediately call a poison control center, mentioning this consumption:

Angers: 02 41 48 21 21
Bordeaux: 05 56 96 40 80
Lille: 08 00 59 59 59
Lyon: 04 72 11 69 11
Marseille: 04 91 75 25 25
Nancy: 03 83 22 50 50
Paris: 01 40 05 48 48
Toulouse: 05 61 77 74 47

Note the times of the affected meal and the appearance of the first signs, and keep the remains of the picking for identification.

The time to onset of symptoms varies: from a few hours after consumption to more than 12 hours. The intoxicated person’s condition can worsen quickly.

In the event of vital distress: loss of consciousness, respiratory distress… call 15 or 112.

Warning: Poison control centers noted that, in some cases, species confusion was fostered by the use of smartphone fungus recognition apps that gave erroneous identifications on the picked mushrooms.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL Translation OSI