Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
* A-League expansion club Macarthur FC have added former English Premier League striker Matt Derbyshire to their squad for their inaugural campaign, which kicks off later this year. England under-21 international Derbyshire, who played in the English top flight with Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City, has signed a two-year deal with the southwestern Sydney club.
* MotoGP champion Marc Marquez will miss Sunday’s Czech Grand Prix after having a second operation on a broken arm, with test rider Stefan Bradl replacing him for the race, his Repsol Honda Team confirmed on Tuesday.
* Spain’s World Cup-winning captain and goalkeeper Iker Casillas announced his retirement from the professional game on Tuesday (Aug 4), ending a career that spanned over two decades in which he captured the game’s biggest prizes.
* The Madrid Open tennis tournament has been cancelled due to fresh outbreaks of coronavirus in the region, organisers confirmed on Tuesday (Aug 4), raising doubts around the upcoming US and French Opens. Originally scheduled for May, the postponed Madrid tournament was scheduled to take place on the clay courts at Caja Magica between Sep 12 and 20.
* Wigan Athletic’s relegation to the third tier League One has been confirmed after the club said on Tuesday (Aug 4) that they had lost their appeal against a 12-point deduction.
* Rangers have signed Switzerland striker Cedric Itten from St Gallen on a four-year deal, the Scottish club said on Tuesday (Aug 4). Itten, who rose through the ranks of his hometown club FC Basel, scored 19 goals in 34 games this season in the Swiss Super League as St Gallen finished runners-up to Young Boys.
* World number two Rafael Nadal confirmed on Tuesday (Aug 4) that he will not defend his US Open crown this year at Flushing Meadows as organisers released the singles entry list for the Grand Slam.
* Manchester City have signed Spanish winger Ferran Torres from Valencia with the 20-year-old putting pen to paper on a five-year deal, the Premier League club announced on Tuesday (Aug 4). Financial details were not disclosed but British media reported the transfer fee was 23 million euros (20.73 million pounds).
* The top seeds at the Palermo Ladies Open had a day of mixed fortunes as Croatia’s Petra Martic advanced in straight sets, while second seed Marketa Vondrousova was ousted by Slovenian qualifier Kaja Juvan in the first round on Tuesday.
* Tottenham Hotspur have agreed a deal in principle with Southampton to sign Denmark midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg with full back Kyle Walker-Peters going the other way, British media reported on Tuesday (Aug 4).