MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Where Botkin driveways, sechenovskiy lane and the square Academician Vishnevskogo — in the material mos.ru.
Pandemic coronavirus infection once again showed that being a doctor is not just a profession but a vocation. Recently the President of Russia supported the initiative to name streets in honor of physicians. In the capital, however, there are places bearing the names of real heroes, who at various times stood guard the health and life of people. About ten of them — in the material mos.ru.
Street Svyatoslav Fyodorov
Nameless earlier passage that linked the Dmitrovsky highway and Beskudnikovsky Boulevard, was named after a famous ophthalmologist and microsurgery in 2017. Near the new street is located research center “eye microsurgery” named after academician S. N. Fedorov.
Svyatoslav Fyodorov (1927-2000) contributed to the development of several fundamental activities without which it is impossible to imagine modern ophthalmology. He was the first in the USSR had successful surgery for implantation of the lens of the eye. Later, Fedorov began to implant, and cornea.
In addition, the famous ophthalmologist performed the first operation for the treatment of glaucoma in the early stages. Fedorov method for the treatment of this disease later became used throughout the world.
In 1967, Svyatoslav Fyodorov headed the Department of eye diseases and problem laboratory on implantation of an artificial lens of the 3rd Moscow medical Institute. In 1979 the laboratory was created the Institute of eye microsurgery.
Bolshaya and Malaya Pirogovskaya streets
CAO, Hamovnicheskii the name of the street sounded as Big and Small Tsaritsyno, in honor were located next to the yard, the first wife of Peter I Evdokiya Lopukhina. In 1924 they renamed in memory of Nikolai Ivanovich Pyrohiv (1810-1881), a scientist and educator, founder of military field surgery.
Pirogov worked as a doctor in the army in the Caucasus. There he for the first time in the history of Russian medicine used the plaster bandage. This helped save many soldiers and officers from amputation. Also Nikolai Pirogov first conducted an operation under ether anesthesia in the field. Important was and organizational skills of the physician during the siege of Sevastopol in 1854, he supervised the training and work of nurses.
In 1947, the former Long lane turned into the street Burdenko. Here lived Nikolay nilovich Burdenko (1876-1946), one of the founders of neurosurgery. As a medic, he participated in the Russo-Japanese, First world, the Soviet-Finnish war of 1939-1940 and the great Patriotic war. Was repeatedly wounded on the fronts.
Burdenko suggested new methods of surgical treatment of injuries received in battle, for the first time in the fight against the spread of infections used antibiotics. The famous surgeon was also involved in the development of methods for the treatment of cancer of the Central and autonomic nervous system, cerebral circulation, was able to streamline operations for the treatment of brain tumors, which prior to Burdenko was carried out in the world a few times.
Lane between Ostozhenka and Prechistenka street was named in 1955 in the memory of who lived here, the psychologist and the physiologist Ivan Mikhailovich Sechenov (1829-1905). He found that the basis of the higher nervous activity are reflexes of the brain.
Ivan Sechenov first described the basic principles of the Central nervous system: Central braking, the summation of excitations and the aftereffect.
Censorship was taken repeated attempts to ban the publication of his popular science work “Reflexes of the brain” due to the supposedly abandoned challenge to the foundations of Christianity. In the book of Sechenov shows that the basis of mental phenomena are physiological processes that can be studied objectively.
A lot of time and effort a doctor devoted to teaching activities, including the development of female education. At the Sechenov studied Nadezhda Suslova and Maria Bokova, who became Russia’s first women doctors.
1-St and 2-nd Botkinsky travel
Two streets the same name near the hospital bear the name of Sergei Petrovich Botkin (1832-1889). They were so named in 1952 on the occasion of the 120th anniversary of the birthday of the therapist and the founder of academic clinic of internal diseases in Russia.
One of the first Sergei Botkin began to develop a theory about the critical role of the brain in the course of any disease, in fact, predicted many discoveries of the XX century in the field of neurology. He also studied for diseases such as plague, cholera, typhus, smallpox, diphtheria and scarlet fever. Sergey Botkin was the first to indicate the nature of the viral hepatitis A and came to the conclusion that the source of infection may serve contaminated food. Hepatitis a also called infectious disease.
Scientist constantly sought to ensure that health care in Russia was available to the large segments of the population. On his initiative in St. Petersburg and Moscow were opened a charitable hospital in which care was offered free of charge.
Ulitsa Akademika Bakuleva
SWAD, Teplyy Stan
The street appeared in the mid-1970s in the building of the 9-th microdistrict of the Warm Camp (before the village of Bogorodskoye). Here is the border between the neighborhood and the landscape reserve “Teply Stan”. In 1980, the new transport artery of the city was named in honor of academician Alexander Nikolayevich Bakulev (1890-1967), one of the founders of the national cardiovascular surgery.
He was the first in the USSR carried out the heart surgery of congenital and acquired defect, eliminated aneurysm of the thoracic aorta. Alexander Bakulev was also involved in pulmonary surgery, invented and put into practice a number of innovative methods.
The street was named in 1965 in honor of Vladimir Mikhailovich Bekhterev (1857-1927), a psychiatrist, neurologist, physiologist and psychologist. This scientist was the first to describe several diseases of the nervous system (one of them was named Bechterew’s disease) and suggested methods for their treatment.
Bekhterev was a founder of the new science of reflexology, a field of psychology that considers mental operations as a set of reflections formed under the influence of the external environment studied and treated many mental disorders and syndromes, including through hypnosis. The scientist also paid attention to the study of nervous and mental development of children, emphasized the necessity of a person’s upbringing from early childhood.
On the street spondylitis today is a psychiatric hospital № 14 named in honor of the great scientist.
Square Academician Vishnevskogo
The South, mountainous
The area between Changeskin Boulevard, Artek and Yalta streets since 1975, is named after Alexander Vasilyevich Vishnevsky (1874-1948), a military surgeon.
He was the author of many scientific works, and the method of anesthesia for Vishnevsky (novocaine blockade) became one of the leaders in the Soviet surgery.
Applying local anesthesia for many years, the academician was able to prove a positive effect of novocaine on the process of tissue regeneration.
New methods of pain relief and treatment of wounds, proposed Vishnevsky during the Second world war helped to save thousands of lives. Oil-balsamic dressing (ointment Vishnevskogo) were successfully applied for the treatment of wounds received in battle.
Street Dr. Haas
Nameless passage near the metro station “Yugo-Zapadnaya” bears the name of the German-Russian physician-philanthropist 2017. Fyodor Ivanovich (Friedrich Joseph) Haas (1780-1853) was born in the small town of bad münstereifel, on the territory of modern Germany. As a young man, he moved to work in Moscow. The doctor worked in three different hospitals and was treated by some officials and intellectuals. The poor and the poor in need of medical care, Dr. Haas helped free.
Theodore Haas has made a significant contribution in the fight against the epidemic of trachoma (a chronic contagious eye disease caused by chlamydia), participated in the organization of the Moscow eye hospital — the world’s first specialized eye clinic. Also contributed to the localization of epidemics of typhus and cholera in Moscow.
All his fortune Fedor Haas spent on charity shelters and providing care to patients for many years he fought for the easing of conditions of detention of prisoners and exiles. For humanism in Moscow Haas was called “Holy doctor”.
By the way, Haas became the prototype of the “old General” in the novel by Fyodor Dostoyevsky “the Idiot”. The writer does not specify the name of the doctor, pointing to its German roots, and describes its assistance to the criminals in prison.
Street in the North-West of the capital received the name of one of the founders of domestic Microbiology and epidemiology Nicholas F. Gamalei (1859-1949) in 1964.
He first began to develop domestic bacteriology. By studying the nature of rabies in the laboratory of Louis Pasteur in Paris, Gamalei, together with the biologist Ilya Mechnikov was organized in Odessa the first Russian station for the control of rabies, plague and other severe infectious diseases. For the first time in Russia was spent vaccinating people against rabies, which allowed to significantly reduce mortality from this disease.
Nicholas Gamal did a lot of study and prevention of typhus, cholera, smallpox and other infectious diseases. It was he who first proved that typhus tolerate lice.
National research centre of epidemiology and Microbiology, bears the name of Gamalei and located on the same street in Moscow.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure will not be perfect.