Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr. (CA-39)
June 29, 2020
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Representative Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr. (CA-39) voted in favor to pass the Emergency Housing Protections and Relief Act (H.R. 7301). This bill addresses the dire housing needs arising due to the pandemic and provides relief to renters, landlords, homeowners, and people experiencing homelessness. The provisions of this bill were included in the Heroes Act, which passed the House last month.
“We’re reaching the end of another month and families are still struggling to make rent and mortgage payments amid this pandemic. They need help, and it’s why the House stepped up to pass the Heroes Act last month,” said Rep. Cisneros. “Today, I’m voting to deliver the relief our renters, landlords, homeowners, and people experiencing homelessness so desperately need. The American people cannot wait for action any longer. I strongly urge the Senate to immediately pass this bill.”
H.R. 7301 would help renters and landlords by:
- Extending the eviction moratorium to March 27, 2021, and expanding it to protect all renters;
- Providing $100 billion for an emergency rental assistance fund that would help renters cover their rent and utility bills, including any unpaid bills;
- Providing low cost loans for landlords through the Federal Reserve and expanding forbearance protections for all landlords;
- Providing additional funding for federal housing assistance programs to ensure rents remain affordable and housing is maintained in a safe and decent condition, including public housing, Section 8, rural housing programs, Section 202 Housing for the Elderly, and Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities.
H.R. 7301 would help homeowners by:
- Extending the foreclosure moratorium for 6 months from enactment, and expanding it to protect all homeowners;
- Expanding forbearance relief to protect all homeowners, and ensuring that no borrower is forced to pay a lump sum at the end of a forbearance period;
- Providing $75 billion for a Homeowner Assistance Fund that would provide direct assistance for homeowners who are struggling to pay their mortgage, property taxes, property insurance, and other housing related costs;
- Providing liquidity for mortgage servicers.
H.R. 7301 would help people experiencing homelessness by:
- Providing $11.5 billion for homeless assistance grants that will help ensure that people experiencing homelessness are able to follow social distancing guidance and have access to necessary services;
- Providing $1 billion for new Housing Choice Vouchers that would be targeted to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness and survivors of domestic violence.
Rep. Cisneros cosponsored the Emergency Rental Assistance and Rental Market Stabilization Act of 2020, legislation to create a $100 billion emergency rental assistance fund, which is included in this bill.