Source: Australia Government – AusTrade
25 May 2020
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment has released year to date (YTD) March 2020 international student data. Compared to YTD March 2019, key results include:
- Total enrolments increased by 6.2 per cent, while commencements decreased by 0.8 per cent
- VET had the strongest growth in enrolments (20.4 per cent), followed by higher education (3.5 per cent)
- Nineteen of the top 25 markets by enrolments experienced increases. The top three fastest growing were the Philippines (57.4 per cent), Colombia (26.4 per cent) and India (29.5 per cent).
- China, India and Nepal accounted for half (51.9 per cent) of all enrolments.
NOTE: The March 2020 data should be interpreted with caution:
- Scheduled course commencement dates in higher education and VET may have been delayed due to COVID-19 lock down arrangements.
- Under the current unprecedented conditions an enrolment does not confirm if a student was in Australia at the time of reporting.
Data enquiries can be directed to mailto:IEdata@austrade.gov.au.