Source: US State of Missouri
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – A resurfacing project along U.S. Route 169 (Belt Highway) includes improvements at some side road entrances. The Missouri Department of Transportation has contracted with Herzog Contracting Corp. to resurface the Belt from Interstate 29 (at Exit 50) to Route FF. One section of Frederick Avenue near Interstate 29 is included as part of the project. An updated schedule is reflected below.
- Now through July 1: Concrete repairs on the roadway and at intersections throughout the project limits.
- Daylight hours, Monday through Saturday
- One lane each direction of the Belt Highway to remain open
- 24-hour lane closures may be necessary to allow the concrete to cure properly
- Intersection work will include around-the-clock closures on the following side roads:
- Karnes Road, east side of the Belt – Complete
- Karnes Road, west side of the Belt – Complete
- Messanie Street, east side of the Belt – Complete
- Pickett Road, east side of the Belt
- Now – May 1
- Pickett Road, west side of the Belt
- Now – May 2
- South Belt Walmart (one-half at a time)
- Now – May 13
Gene Field Road, east side of the Belt – begins Wednesday, May 6
- Only the eastbound lanes, east of the Belt, and the westbound turn lane will be closed
- Eastbound through traffic on Gene Field will not be permitted
- The following turns will not be permitted:
- From westbound Gene Field to southbound Belt Highway
- From both directions of the Belt Highway onto eastbound Gene Field
- July 9 – August 7: Paving
- Due to the amount of traffic on the Belt, paving work will be conducted during nighttime hours, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sunday through Thursday. No work is currently planned for Friday or Saturday nights.
- Paving step 1 – all crossovers and turn lanes first, beginning on the southern end of the project limits and working north.
- During this phase of the project, Route 6 (Frederick Avenue) will also be resurfaced between the Belt and I-29.
- Paving step 2 – Mainline lanes of the Belt
- The contractor will begin with one northbound lane until they reach I-29. They will then do one southbound lane until they reach Route FF. Then will do the other lane northbound and then the final lane southbound.
- Paving step 3 – Shoulders
- August 7 – 26: Pavement marking and guardrail
During all phases, crews will work with all businesses with entrances on the Belt Highway to minimize the impact on business traffic. Motorists may notice delays and use of the center turn lane may be restricted.
All work is weather-permitting and schedules are subject to change. Please remember that all work zones are No Phone zones. Buckle up. Phone down. Arrive Alive. Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention while driving in work.
For more information about these and other MoDOT projects, visit modot.org and view the online Traveler Information Map. Also at modot.org, sign up online for work zone updates. Information is also available 24/7 at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or via social media.
Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down