Post sponsored by

Source: US State of Hawaii

Worried about rent and mortgage payments?

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 in Main

What relief is available for paying my mortgage? Can a landlord evict me if I don’t pay my rent? What are my rights as a landlord? DCCA’s Office of Consumer Protection is providing answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) to help homeowners and renters with questions related to the Landlord-Tenant code. This FAQ, along with more information regarding the Hawai‘i Landlord-Tenant code is available at Governor Ige’s sixth emergency supplementary proclamation extends his earlier eviction moratorium, which prevents eviction from a residential dwelling for failure to pay rent. Rent is still payable, though, and it’s recommended that tenants speak with their landlords to see if forbearance or a partial payment plan can be negotiated.  The extended moratorium on evictions is in effect until May 31. DCCA’s Office of Consumer Protection can, on behalf of the public, investigate or prosecute someone who has engaged in price gouging or unfair practices. Persons can file a complaint by going to the OCP website at or call (808) 587-4272. For a full list of online services, go to

Read more in the May Capitol Connection newsletter

Subscribe to the Capitol Connection newsletter