MIL OSI-C. Region: Latin/Latin America
Source: Republic of Brazil
In the face of acts of violence that have occurred in the Republic of Chile, which resulted in the death or serious injury, altered by the order, affect the safety of the public, and have destroyed public and private property, and the member-States of the PROSUL declare as follows:
1. We support the efforts of the Government of Chile has made to maintain peace, law and order, citizen security, and democratic institutions, using the tools of legitimate, granted by the Constitution and the law.
2. We strongly condemn all acts of violence and attempts to destabilize the country and its democratic institutions over the past few weeks.
3. “We call upon the right to freedom of expression and freedom of peaceful assembly, will always be excluding all kinds of violence, destruction, looting, and vandalism.
4. We call on all political actors and sectors representative of chilean society, the search for a solution that will bring peace and justice, which is based on dialogue and agreement. Such a solution should be to go through institutional channels of democracy, allowing for a quick and peaceful resolution of the situation of tension and violence.
5. We acknowledge the efforts of the assets of the Government of Chile to promote and protect respect for human rights.
6. We would like to reiterate our full support to the government of President Sebastián Piñera, and his efforts to restore peace and public order in Chile, while safeguarding the rule of law, democracy and respect for human rights.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should of the grammar and/or sentence structure not to be perfect.