Source: Small Island Developing States
The year 2019 marks the 25th anniversary of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD), which brought together 179 governments in Cairo, Egypt, and concluded with the adoption of the ICPD Programme of Action that set out to empower women and girls for their sake, and for the benefit of their families, communities and nations.
From 12-14 November, the governments of Kenya and Denmark and UNFPA are co-convening the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25, a high-level conference that aims to mobilize the political will and financial commitments necessary to implement the ICPD Programme of Action. The theme of the event is: Accelerating the promise.
The Summit will address the following five themes and highlight the power of gender equality, youth leadership, political and community leadership, innovation and data, and partnerships to accelerate progress throughout:
- Universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights as a part of universal health coverage.
- Financing required to complete the ICPD Programme of Action, and to sustain the gains made.
- Drawing on demographic diversity to drive economic growth and achieve sustainable development.
- Ending gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- Upholding the right to sexual and reproductive health care even in humanitarian and fragile contexts.
The Nairobi Summit will provide a platform for governments and other organizations to announce voluntary, global commitments that will accelerate progress.
The Earth Negotiations Bulletin summary of ICPD is here.
dates: 12-14 November 2019
location: Nairobi, Kenya