Source: Australia Bureau of Meteorology
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in parts of Goldfields district.
Issued at 1:54 pm Sunday, 20 October 2019.
Severe thunderstorms possible in the Goldfields.
Weather Situation: A trough located through the Goldfields is producing a large area of showers and thunderstorms.
Severe thunderstorms are possible in the warning area over the next several hours and may produce DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to 90 km/h which may cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.
Locations which may be affected include Kalgoorlie, Kambalda, Laverton, Leinster, Leonora and Menzies.
Leonora recorded a wind gust of 76 km/h at 1 pm Sunday afternoon.
The overall weather pattern is not unusual for this time of year but severe weather may occur in some parts of the warning area.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If there is flooding, create your own sandbags by using pillow cases filled with sand and place them around doorways to protect your home.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
* Slow down and turn your headlights on.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* If it is raining heavily and you cannot see, pull over and park with your hazard lights on until the rain clears.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4:55 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and Department of Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.