Source: United Kingdom – Executive Government & Departments
Employer name: Costello Medical
Salary: £32,000 – £38,000 per annum
Location: Cambridge, UK, London, UK
Closing date: recruiting for start dates in July 2019, September 2019 and January 2020
Statistics at Costello Medical
Our Statistics team is growing quickly through demand from both new and existing clients, and we have an exciting opportunity for a Biostatistician to join our friendly and collaborative team. The successful candidate will play a key role in shaping the future of Costello Medical’s Statistics team and service offering.
Our Statistics team provide statistical and analytical expertise across Costello Medical, devising statistical analysis plans and performing data analysis within Excel, R, SAS and WinBUGS. They are also responsible for communicating the methodologies and results in both written and oral formats to drug and device manufacturers, doctors and reimbursement agencies such as NICE in the UK. The statistical analysis varies across patient-level clinical trial data, observational study data, real-world data and published aggregate data, and involves a range of techniques such as basic statistical analysis of individual patient data, regression analysis, survival analysis and Bayesian network meta-analysis using both standard and emerging methods.
About the Role
You will work in project teams alongside colleagues from all specialities to ensure that statistics projects are completed to an exceptionally high standard, on time and in line with client expectations. You will receive one-to-one training in the technical aspects of the role, including project management and effective client communication. Delivering project work requires close collaboration with clients, and following a successful induction period you will increasingly participate in teleconferences and face-to-face meetings with external stakeholders.
The Statistics team is growing quickly, and so the successful applicant will be someone who shows the potential to develop their skills rapidly. Our scientific Senior Management team all joined the company in entry-level roles and progressed internally; we remain committed to the principle of developing talent from within. We are particularly keen to hear from talented and motivated individuals who could take on project management and client responsibility within six to twelve months, and who are keen to progress into a leadership role in the Statistics team. We also offer tailored career progression opportunities depending on individual strengths and interests, which could include a focus on technical excellence.
Our team typically work on several projects at one time and the results of each analysis can feed into publications, value materials, health economic models or health technology assessment submissions. You will therefore be exposed to a wide variety of the services offered by Costello Medical and a broad range of therapeutic areas.
Some client meetings and congresses take place outside the UK, which presents opportunities for overseas travel.
We are currently recruiting for start dates in July 2019, September 2019 and January 2020.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific or mathematical discipline (minimum 2.1) is required, although a Masters or PhD would be highly advantageous. A focus on statistics and data analysis is essential
- The technical and mathematical ability, coupled with the written and oral communication skills, to explain complex techniques and results to non-experts
- Proficiency in the R programming language, and the willingness and ability to rapidly develop your programming skills
- A willingness to trial, explore or recommend new software or techniques that may suit specific projects
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, along with the ability to maintain a high level of customer service and the quality of deliverables under multiple competing demands
- Highly organised, with the flexibility to respond to changing deadlines
- The ability to use your initiative and work independently, in addition to working collaboratively within project teams
- Excellent written English is fundamental; this will be assessed during the selection process
Desirable requirements for the role are:
- Experience with SAS, or other programming languages used for data analysis
- Awareness of data standards for clinical research and statistical analysis (e.g. CDISC, SDTM, ADaM, ICH Statistical Principles for Clinical Trials)
- Experience in and/or knowledge of clinical processes or trials
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role is £32,000 – £38,000 depending on your previous experience. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter via our online application form. In your cover letter you should explain why you think you would be suited to the role and why you would like to join Costello Medical.
Your CV should clearly state your undergraduate degree class and grade of pass in any subsequent degree(s), along with your visa status and eligibility to work in the UK (we regret that we are currently unable to sponsor non-EEA nationals).