MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
High-class specialists, modern equipment, kind and attentive attitude to patients and continuous development. Why maternity hospital number 4 was named the best in Moscow in 2018 – in the material mos.ru.
Maternity Hospital No. 4 at the V.V. Municipal Clinical Hospital Vinogradov recognized as the best obstetric institution in Moscow in 2018 on the basis of the festival “Formula of life”. Olga Sharapova, the head doctor of the clinic, told why maternity hospital employees deserved this award, how modern capital maternity hospitals work and what they do for mothers and babies.
The main thing is people
– What changes have occurred in your hospital over the past few years and what is it today?
– First, we are completely open for women in labor and for their relatives. Secondly, we do a lot of work not only with a woman, but also with her family – her husband, parents, children. As in all maternity hospitals in Moscow, the patient, if she wants it, can give birth in the presence of a family member, such as a husband or mother. Our patients can also be visited in the postpartum department, of course, observing a certain treatment and protection regimen.
The most important thing for us is for mom and her baby to be all right. We must do everything possible to ensure that a woman is comfortable, cozy and well in the hospital, and medical care is provided at a high level. We try to find an individual approach to each patient.
Our maternity hospital was one of the first where it became available, for example, carrying out vertical labor, provided that it is possible for medical reasons in a particular case. The position in which a woman will give birth, is previously agreed with her, all indications and contraindications are discussed. In general, we have been working for a long time according to the standard, which provides for a discussion with a woman of a preliminary plan for the delivery and options for anesthesia at each of the stages.
I would like to especially note that, in addition to maximum openness, in our hospital there is a very kind, homely atmosphere. We have comfortable single rooms with a shower and a toilet, there are family-type wards, where the child’s father can stay around the clock, which is very important both for the woman and for the family as a whole.
The staff of the maternity hospital – doctors, midwives, nurses, technical staff – love their work very much and value it. All of them are professionals with a capital letter, and the results of our work are the main confirmation of this.
When a woman writes out, we ask: “Will you come to us again?” And if she says “yes”, believe me, this is our highest reward and praise.
– What is the main branch – generic?
“The clan branch is our holy of holies.” 17 individual boxes for women in labor are equipped according to a single standard. There are boxes in which an additional Jacuzzi bathtub is installed. It is the warm water we use as an anesthetic, it allows the woman to relax and minimize pain in the second stage of labor. But a woman gives birth not in water, but on a special obstetric bed.
Recently, approaches to the tactics of childbirth have completely changed. A woman in ancestral box is in a free and comfortable position for herself, she can get up, walk, listen to music, and if necessary, use a fitball. The boxes are equipped with TVs, there is a round-the-clock Wi-Fi – you can always go online and chat with friends and family members.
For 10 years, we have implemented a medical information system: each patient has an electronic medical record, a personal account and personal access to it. You can interactively study your medical documents – the results of tests and diagnostic studies. This is very good for us, because a woman can quickly control her treatment and involve third-party specialists for a second opinion. It is great tightens and disciplines, including doctors.
The city helps to increase the birth rate, appropriate support measures have been developed for this. For example, now at discharge from the hospital mothers are given gift sets of children’s clothes. It has everything you need for your baby in the first days of life.
– Who gets to the children’s intensive care unit? And what is planned in the neonatal building under construction?
– In the intensive care unit and intensive care of newborns only heavy children are hospitalized: premature, with dangerous diseases. In total, in 2018, 12 babies weighing less than one kilogram were born in our maternity hospital, and we all went out, all survived. Our department of children’s resuscitation is considered one of the best in Moscow. All advanced technologies of nursing newborns are successfully applied in our hospital.
Perhaps that is why it was decided to build a neonatal building by the autumn of 2019. The buildings of the maternity hospital and the new building will be connected by a land passage. On the first two floors will work with children. It is also planned to place the departments of follow-up and rehabilitation for children who were discharged from our hospital. All medical care will be free, due to the program of state guarantees.
On the third floor there will be clinical departments of the second stage of premature babies nursing. According to the existing standards in the children’s intensive care unit, we can treat newborns up to a maximum of seven days, then they are transferred to specialized children’s hospitals. But with the opening of the new neonatal body, the newborns will remain with us. The most important thing is that the children will continue to be treated in the intensive care unit, but they will be with their mothers. It is very important that, even in intensive care, the connection between the mother and the child is not broken.
High-class specialists and modern equipment
– What else has changed in the hospital in recent years?
– A few years ago, a modernization program started in the city, and we received new devices and monitors, cardiac monitors, couveuses, changing tables with heating, ultrasound devices, anesthesia and respiratory equipment, new operating tables – in short, all in order to provide quality care and newborn.
Everywhere in Moscow, and in our hospital, including, now they use high technologies. But it’s not just about the equipment. Most importantly, we have first-class specialists who can work on this equipment. Of course, the quality and level of medical care has increased significantly due to this.
Combining maternity hospitals with multidisciplinary hospitals is also an important stage of modernization. We, for example, are located on Novatorov Street, but the maternity hospital is part of the VV Hospital. Vinogradov on Vavilova street, this is its branch. It takes only 15 minutes to go to her, and when a woman with a disease, such as a heart or kidney, gives birth to us, we involve specialized specialists from the hospital. Another undoubted advantage is that women’s consultations were combined with maternity hospitals. There are 13 women’s clinics in our union, and we can create an unbroken chain of care for pregnant women from the moment of registration to childbirth.
– Can you compare with foreign maternity hospitals?
– Even if they go to give birth abroad, then, in my opinion, the main motive is not in the quality of medical services. We have good specialists. They are trained in foreign clinics, doctors from Europe and the USA come to us. I remember the visit of the President of the American Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Richard Woldman. Then he asked to show the standard Moscow hospital. He was brought to us, he examined everything here and said: “I’m at home. You do everything exactly as we do. ” Richard invited us on a return visit to an obstetrics and gynecology clinic in Syracuse, New York. Several teams of our employees trained there – it turned out that our maternity hospital is no different from a large private medical center in America.
Moreover, it turned out that we used a lot of progressive techniques, which they did not have then. There are other standards there: we definitely do a lot of research, for example, functional and ultrasound diagnostics, which they do not have to do, or cardiotography, which they do only when a woman is threatened and we do it to everyone without exception.
Regardless of how childbirth proceeded, patients are discharged there after 12 hours. We have an extract on the third day.
My personal experience of studying in England, Italy, Germany and Finland showed that we have a more careful and reverent attitude towards newborns and their mothers. We have always been taught, and we are teaching this now, – one should not treat a child separately from the family, outside its society. There is no such approach in the west.
– How many specialists work in the hospital?
– In the maternity hospital there are 450 people – medical, nursing and technical staff.
Obstetrics is the most difficult area in medicine. Some risks are simply impossible to calculate in advance. This is very hard work, there are many unforeseen situations. Therefore, our task is not only to ensure the professional growth of medical personnel, but also to create comfortable conditions for work and rest.
– In one of your interviews you said that maternity hospital specialists conduct many training events. Tell me more about them?
– For three days, while the mother is in the hospital, the nurses teach her to care for the child.
Twice a month, we have open doors for future parents: we spend them in all departments, we show chambers, we introduce specialists.
This may be interesting:
In addition, free classes are held five times a week with women and their families in preparation for the birth. Over a cup of tea, they study all the necessary questions. We lecture them, answer all questions, show educational films.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should not be perfect.