MIL-OSI USA: Federal Disaster Assistance Is for Texas Renters, Too

By   /  July 14, 2018  /  Comments Off on MIL-OSI USA: Federal Disaster Assistance Is for Texas Renters, Too

    Print       Email

Source: US Federal Emergency Management Agency

Headline: Federal Disaster Assistance Is for Texas Renters, Too

Austin, Texas – Renters in Texas counties whose homes and property were damaged by the severe storms and flooding may be eligible for federal disaster assistance, state and federal recovery officials said today.

Aid is available to residents of Hidalgo and Cameron counties that suffered damage from the severe storms, and flooding June 19, 2018 and continuing.


There are federal grants that can help pay for temporary housing. The initial rental grant is for a 60-day period and can be reviewed for further assistance until renters’ previous homes are again livable or they find another home.


Also, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help Texas renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles.  Loan rates are as low as 1.938 percent; terms can be as long as 30 years and survivors may be eligible for up to $40,000, depending on their losses. 

Both renters and homeowners may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA) through FEMA. ONA helps survivors with uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster.

Other Needs Assistance can be used for:

  • Disaster-related medical and dental expenses, as well as assistive devices such as wheelchairs, canes, communications boards and related equipment, and prescriptions;
  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs;
  • Primary vehicles,  approved second vehicles and modified vehicles damaged by the disaster; and
  • Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses.
  • Moving and Storage when the renter is moving back into the disaster damaged rental home.

Eligibility for ONA grants is determined by completing and returning the SBA application. There is no requirement to take out a loan.

The first step is to register with FEMA for assistance. To do so:

  • Call 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech- and hearing-impaired. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

The toll free lines operate from 7 10 p.m., seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

For additional information about SBA disaster loans, the loan application process, or for help completing the SBA application:

  • Visit SBA’s website at and downloading an application. Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call (800) 877-8339/


    Print       Email

About the author