MIL-OSI Australia: Unattended candle causes Bentleigh house fire

By   /  July 12, 2018  /  Comments Off on MIL-OSI Australia: Unattended candle causes Bentleigh house fire

    Print       Email

Source: Government of Victoria 2

12 Jul 2018

An unattended candle has sparked a blaze at a Tucker Road home in Bentleigh overnight.

MFB crews arrived on scene in less than six minutes, after reports that flames could be seen in the front room of the single story brick house shortly after 8pm on Wednesday evening.

The family evacuated the premises safely and without injury, but unfortunately their pet cat was overcome by smoke. Firefighters tried to revive the cat but were unsuccessful despite their best efforts.

The quick work of approximately 12 MFB firefighters from Windsor and Ormond Fire Stations meant that the fire was contained to the room where it began. 

Firefighters remained on scene for almost two hours to make sure the fire had not spread underneath the floor of the house.

MFB recommends the following tips for safe use of open flames:

  • The use of open flames should always be supervised.
  • Always extinguish cigarettes, candles, incense and oil burners before leaving home or going to sleep.
  • Keep curtains and other combustibles away from open flames at all times.
  • Ensure children and animals are a safe distance from candles, incense and oil burners.
  • Only use candles, incense and oil burners on stable non-combustible surfaces.
  • Keep cigarettes, lighters and matches out of reach of children.
  • Use heavy, high-sided ashtrays to prevent them tipping over and always properly extinguish cigarettes.

For tips on things to do around the home to prevent a fire, download the Home Fire Safety Booklet, visit www.mfb.vic.gov.au/Community

No information available to download

MIL OSI News

    Print       Email